(SEATTLE) July 13, 2016 – The Adventure Travel Trade Association (ATTA; www.adventuretravel.biz) is releasing findings this week from its 2016 Industry Snapshot, a comprehensive look at the adventure travel industry through the eyes of adventure travel tour operators. The ATTA has been involved in original and collaborative research for over a decade as part of its mission of educating and professionalizing the adventure travel industry. Since 2006 the ATTA has invited companies to share anonymous information about their business from the previous fiscal year. For the 2016 report, over 500 tour operators in eighty-two countries contributed.
The ATTA Industry Snapshot offers those working in adventure travel with a useful benchmarking tool, and those outside the industry with perspective on the health, outlook and characteristics of this dynamic industry. The Industry Snapshot includes up-to-date information about trending destinations, activities and industry business practices. The Snapshot is offered for free to ATTA members and can be purchased and downloaded by anyone in the travel community.
“This year, 65% of survey respondents said they expect increased profits in 2016. Even with all the social, economic and political upheavals in the world, tourism is a sector that continues to expand,” said Christina Beckmann, ATTA’s Director of Research. “The Industry Snapshot shows how macro global trends are playing out in adventure travel.”
Example key findings in this year’s report include :
- Revenue and profit projections from tour operators across the globe and the factors that contribute to financial optimism from North America, South America and Europe
- Estimated value (in US dollars) of economic benefit that adventure tourism offers destinations
- Highest average per-day trip price reported in North America at $448
- Regions with increased (North and South America) and decreased (Middle East and North Africa) customer interest over the last year
- Areas of itinerary development, including solo travel, soft adventure and highly customized trips
- Industry-wide shift in marketing spend from advertising to content creation
About Adventure Travel Trade Association
Established in 1990, the Adventure Travel Trade Association (ATTA) serves over 1,100 members in 90 countries worldwide. Members predominantly include tour operators, tourism boards, specialty agents and accommodations with a vested interest in the sustainable development of adventure tourism. The ATTA delivers solutions and connections that propel members towards their business goals and the industry toward a responsible and profitable future. Through its regional AdventureConnect events and annual Adventure Travel World Summit trade conference, the ATTA excels in professional learning, networking and partnering services. With expertise in research, education, adventure travel industry news and promotion, members of the ATTA receive competitive opportunities that help establish them as leaders in adventure tourism.
For more information:
- Adventure Travel World Summit
- Travel – traveler portal to member tours