In an attempt to quell social and political unrest that has rocked the Middle Eastern and North African landscapes in the last few weeks, longtime Yemen President Ali Abdullah Saleh announced today that he will step down in 2013 and promised not to pass leadership on to his sons. Critics argue this move sidesteps popular demands and concerns and that the leaders intentions of honoring this promise is suspect.
More Global Updates on Yemen:
- FACTBOX-Security developments in Yemen – Reuters UK – February 6, 2011 – 9:03am GMT
- Yemen ‘Day of Rage’ draws tens of thousands – Reuters – February 3, 2011 – 4:50pm EST
- In Yemen, Protesters Face Off in Peace – New York Times – February 2, 2011
- Yemeni Leader to Step Down in 2013 – New York Times – February 2, 2011 – 2:24pm PST
- In Yemen, calls for revolution but many hurdles – Washington Post – January 31, 2011