152-day trek across world’s highest and longest alpine walking track begins this month
Adventure travel specialist World Expeditions announces the start of its exclusive trek along the Great Himalaya Trail (GHT) in Nepal on February 26, 2017. Three trekkers are set to embark on the awe-inspiring journey along the world’s tallest mountain range where they will walk until July 27, 2017.
“Trekking the entire GHT is the ultimate bucket-list trip,“ said Nathalie Gauthier, North American Manager of World Expeditions. “Aside from being an incredible adventure, it triggers the most inspiring stories of determination, achievement and personal growth.”
The Nepal traverse spans 1700km in total, nearly the equivalent of walking from Banff, Alberta to Boulder, Colorado. Beginning in the far east, where the world’s third highest peak stretches skyward, it crosses the country to the high plateaus on the Tibetan borderlands in the far west, encountering some of the wildest and most remote mountain environments on the planet along the way. From the trail, trekkers can see all eight of Nepal’s 8000 metre peaks and witness villages where the traditional culture has remained intact for centuries.
“A thousand words cannot describe how absolutely amazing the GHT was and always will be,” said Ray Mustey of Brisbane, Australia who trekked the full traverse in 2014. “I am often asked if I would do the GHT again. The answer is always YES, YES, YES!!”
Available exclusively through World Expeditions since 2011, the company has crafted seven fantastic treks that can be completed individually, or trekked together to make up the full traverse. At each stage, travellers can count on superb Himalayan vistas, remote villages, high mountain passes that lead to rarely visited valleys, not to mention the camaraderie and immense reward that comes from completing an adventure of this kind. The seven stages are as follows:
- GHT Everest & Rolwaling Traverse via Tashi Labsta Pass (28 days) – With stunning views of Mount Everest from the picturesque Gokyo Lakes and crossings of the Renjo La and challenging Tashi Labsta pass.
- GHT Kanchenjunga Exploratory (25 days) – Passing through jaw-dropping mountain scenery under the immense north face of Kanchenjunga before turning towards the west and crossing the Nango La.
- GHT Langtang via Tilman Pass (18 days) – Tracing the popular pilgrimage trail to Panch Pokhari Lakes, this section crosses the remote and heavily glaciated Tilman Pass before witnessing the breathtaking Langtang Valley.
- GHT Makalu & Everest Traverse via Sherpani Col (34 days) – The most challenging stage, this section crosses the highest passes in the Himalaya including the Sherpani Col, West Col and Amphu Labsta to emerge into the Everest region before crossing the Cho La to Gokyo Lakes.
- GHT Manaslu & Annapurna (26 days) – The combination of the Manaslu and Annapurna Circuits make this section a great option for first time trekkers to Nepal and Himalayan enthusiasts alike.
- GHT Upper Dolpo Traverse (25 days) – Experience the medieval fortified village of Chharka Bhot, the nomad camps in the heart of Dolpo, Dho Tarap and a finale at Phoksumdo Lake.
- GHT Rara Lake & Yari Valley (28 days) – The final stage begins by exploring Rara National Park before crossing the Great Himalaya Range via wildflower-covered passes and through the Karnali corridor to the Yari Valley and the Tibetan border.