Latest from the ATTA
- Industry Voices: Antje von Dewitz, Visionary Leader of VAUDE, Sets the Bar for Sustainability Among Outdoor Brands
- LifeStraw’s Humanitarian Mission Drove it to Become a Leading Water Filtration Company
- Leadership Voices: Ana Ines Figueroa and Jorge Moller Offer Insight Into the Latin American Adventure Market
Seattle, WA – Mosquito-borne illnesses such as malaria, Dengue fever and West Nile virus are still a challenge throughout the globe. However, a newer mosquito-borne illness called Zika virus is causing serious concerns in Brazil as well as the Caribbean, Central America, Mexico, Puerto Rico, and South America where it has been linked to a rise in infants born with microcephaly and other birth defects. Because there is no vaccine for Zika, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends protection from mosquito bites including the use of permethrin treated clothing like ExOfficio’s BugsAway® line of men’s and women’s travel apparel and accessories.
ExOfficio was the first consumer apparel brand in the U.S. to utilize Insect Shield® technology in 2004, and has provided comfort, convenience and protection to travelers for over 10 years through its BugsAway collection of apparel and accessories designed for travel. ExOfficio’s BugsAway styles are designed with travel-ready features and performance fabrics so that the wearer can travel with confidence. The insect repellent technology utilizes permethrin, which is invisible, odorless, and tightly bonded to the fabric fibers, lasting the expected lifetime of the garment. BugsAway products with Insect Shield technology are vetted, safe, and proven effective against mosquitoes, ticks, ants, flies, chiggers, and midges (no-see-ums), aiding in the battle against insect-borne diseases such as the Zika virus.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants.
- Use EPA-registered insect repellents (such as permethrin, used in ExOfficio BugsAway treated with Insect Shield)
- Stay in places with air conditioning or use window and door screens to keep mosquitoes outside.
- Sleep under a mosquito bed net if you are overseas or outside and are not able to protect yourself from mosquito bites.
- Treat clothing with permethrin or purchase permethrin-treated clothing
- Always follow the label instructions when using insect repellent or sunscreen
- Help reduce the number of mosquitoes inside and outside your home or hotel room by emptying standing water from containers such as flowerpots or buckets
For the most updated information about the Zika virus, travelers should visit http://www.cdc.gov/zika/.
ExOfficio’s BugsAway collection includes men’s and women’s long sleeve shirts and pants, many with built-in UV protection as well as insect protection. Other styles available for men and women include short sleeve shirts, tees, jackets, hats, and socks; plus neck gaiters and bandanas. Items from the ExOfficio BugsAway collection are available for purchase from local and online specialty retail stores, including ExOfficio’s own flagship stores in the U.S. or online at www.exofficio.com. The newest spring styles will be available in mid-February 2016.
Contributing members are responsible for the accuracy of content contributed to the Member News section of AdventureTravelNews.