Latest from the ATTA
- Adventure Travel Industry, Outdoor Community Unite for Evening of Networking, Fundraising for Adventure Travel Conservation Fund
- Ghinsberg’s Work with Bolivian Indigenous Community Highlights Early Roots of Sustainable Tourism
- On Convergence And Experience Innovation: Implications for Adventure Travel
Adventure Travel Company Empowers Travelers to Give Back to Global Community Projects – Simply by Booking a Tour
Intrepid Travel, the leader in small group adventure travel, has launched a groundbreaking Travel for Good campaign, furthering the positive impact their adventure tours have on travelers and the world. Intrepid will donate 10-percent of all tour bookings to help four community projects around the world. The campaign will run through December 20, applying to bookings on over 1,000 of Intrepid Travel’s small-group tours.
This is the first time Intrepid has taken this type of philanthropic approach to discounting, something they feel travelers and the travel agent community will be excited to embrace, especially during the holiday season. The concept of booking a trip to give back to these community projects aligns with the brand’s mission to help consumers see the world through real, immersive experiences while leaving the destinations they visit in a better position than it was found.
“The holiday season is a time of reflection and giving back,” said Leigh Barnes, North America Director for Intrepid Travel. “While we remain committed to supporting local communities throughout the year, this campaign allows our travelers to help create meaningful impact in the destinations we visit.”
The four projects are currently supported through Intrepid Group’s not-for-profit, The Intrepid Foundation. They represent a mix of initiatives that the foundation supports through over 50 projects around the world. The projects that will benefit from the Travel for Good campaign include:
- Kusimayo (Peru): Works to improve the living conditions of children and adults affected by poverty and malnutrition in the high plains of Puno.
- Blue Dragon (Vietnam): Provides vocational training and educational support to children and families caught in the cycle of poverty.
- Pollinate Energy (India): A social enterprise that aims to improve the lives of India’s urban poor by providing access to sustainable and affordable energy.
- Friends of the Asian Elephant (Thailand): The FAE hospital helps rehabilitate and treat elephants that were once used in tourism entertainment venues.
Globally recognized as a leader in responsible travel, Intrepid is a signatory of the UN Global Compact, which commits the company to transparent reporting on environmental, social and economic sustainability. Intrepid has been carbon-neutral since 2010 and has donated over $5 million dollars through its foundation since 2002. Intrepid Travel is hoping to donate $150,000 through the Travel for Good campaign, making it the largest fundraising initiative for The Intrepid Foundation in North America.
Contributing members are responsible for the accuracy of content contributed to the Member News section of AdventureTravelNews.