Adventure Travel Trade Association (ATTA) team members frequently share breaking news, helpful information, and trend highlights with each other. Below is a curated list of the industry news, global updates, and operational ideas we’ve been reading and discussing over the past several months that we think you’ll also find informative, inspiring, and intriguing.
- Global adventure tourism market to generate $1,169.09 billion by 2028 ( Allied Market Research) According to this report the global adventure tourism market generated $112.22 billion in 2020, and is estimated to generate $1,169.09 billion by 2028 from 2021 to 2028. The report provides a detailed analysis of changing market dynamics, top segments, value chain, key investment pockets, regional scenario, and competitive landscape.
- The Economist: Normalcy Index (The Economist) Is the world returning to pre-pandemic life? Find out with this interactive tracker.
- How the pandemic has changed our mindset toward travel (The Seattle Times) This article highlights a few Seattle-based ATTA members.
- Travel’s Creator Economy Resets for Next Boom (Skift) “Post pandemic, brand, and destination marketing dollars will favor those who get hyper-creative, hyper-local, and hyper-talented in video and storytelling content. There’s a boom coming — for those playing the long game.” — Lebawit Lily Girma
- Booking.com’s 2021 Sustainable Travel Report Affirms Potential Watershed Moment for Industry and Consumers (Booking.com) Research insights gathered from more than 29,000 travelers across 30 countries show almost half (49%) still believe that in 2021, there aren’t enough sustainable travel options available.
- Google joins the European Travel Commission to foster skills and strengthen the recovery of European tourism (European Travel Commission) Google has joined the European Travel Commission (ETC) as an Associate Member to help drive the European tourism sector’s recovery in 2021 and strengthen the sector as an engine for economic growth, employment and regional development for all Europeans.
- How an Indigenous-Owned Adventure Company Is Bringing Bike Tourism to the Navajo Nation (Condé Nast Traveler) Dzil Ta’ah Adventures’ cycling tours pair desert landscapes with Navajo creation stories—and all tour revenue is reinvested into Navajo communities.
- The Misguided Regeneration Debate and How Travel Can Actually Support the SDGs (Rooted Storytelling) ATTA Media Member, JoAnna Haugen breaks down the important and misguided debate of sustainability vs regenerative tourism.
- The Travel Industry’s Reckoning With Race and Inclusion (The New York Times) Tourists, particularly Black travelers, are paying close attention to how destinations and travel service providers approach diversity and equity after a year of social justice protests.
- Rethinking Single-Use Plastic Products (SUPPs) in Travel & Tourism (WTTC) This report covers the impacts, management practices, and includes practical and strategic recommendations.
- Breaking Down Barriers to Travel: championing disability inclusive and accessible travel (Leonard Cheshire) This report in partnership with Expedia Group supports travel providers to understand why disability inclusion matters to the industry while celebrating and learning from providers already striving to be more inclusive through their innovative practices.
- 4 ways Hawaii is coping with a tourist influx as COVID-19 restrictions lift (Lonely Planet) Hawaiian government officials and the tourism boards are scrambling to solve the over-tourism issues, which experts claim won’t level off until 2022. This piece showcases four ways Hawaii is currently coping.
- Future proof: Solving the ‘adaptability paradox’ for the long term (McKinsey & Company) This article about adaptability highlights five actions to help you thrive in uncertainty.
- Goodbye Email Open Rates: Prepare for Apple’s Privacy Update (Think Shot) Many email strategists and teams track open rates on each email blast for insights into what content is resonating with their audiences. The new feature will likely make this metric obsolete.
ATTA in the News
- The ATTA’s Shannon Stowell on Defining Adventure and the Importance of Responsible Tourism (Travel Age West) Emma Weissmann, Senior Editor of TravelAge West, hosts ATTA CEO Shannon Stowell on the Podcast Humans of Travel.
- Travel Leaders: An Interview with Christina Beckmann, Co-Founder of Tomorrow’s Air and Vice President of Global Strategy at the Adventure Travel Trade Association (Euromonitor) Caroline Bremner, Head of Travel Research at Euromonitor, hosts Christina Beckmann, ATTA’s VP of Global Strategy, on Travel Leader’s Podcast.
- A Conversation on Overtourism Post Pandemic With ATTA (Adventure Travel Trade Association) (Euromonitor) ATTA leadership team contributes to an article about adventure travel and over-tourism.
- Connect, Respond, and Recover Adventure Travel Trade Association’s 2020 Story of Resilience (Association Ventures Playbook/Dainella Nartker) An interview with CEO Shannon Stowell.