Latest from the ATTA
- Industry Voices: Antje von Dewitz, Visionary Leader of VAUDE, Sets the Bar for Sustainability Among Outdoor Brands
- LifeStraw’s Humanitarian Mission Drove it to Become a Leading Water Filtration Company
- Leadership Voices: Ana Ines Figueroa and Jorge Moller Offer Insight Into the Latin American Adventure Market
B&R extends Uniworld partnership with multi-country Western Europe tour beginning May 2018
Expanding its luxury river cruise portfolio, Butterfield & Robinson, the world’s premier active travel company, announces Rhine River Cruise Biking 2018. Departing from Basel, Switzerland with port stops through France and Germany, the eight-day trip explores terraced wine regions, medieval castles and UNESCO heritage sites along 1,000 kilometres of historical river bends and bike trails. Rhine River Cruise Biking is the latest in a partnership between B&R and Uniworld Boutique River Cruise Collection, the world’s most luxurious all-inclusive river cruise line.
“In addition to unique, unforgettable active travel itineraries, B&R is committed to providing travellers with cultural experiences underscored with luxurious settings,” says Norman Howe, president & CEO, Butterfield & Robinson. “As such, we’re very pleased to encourage our travellers to ‘unpack once’ as they make their home aboard Uniworld’s luxury fleet of beautifully-designed ships for a week of active travel.”
The newly announced biking tour also complements B&R and Uniworld itineraries along the Danube and Rhône rivers, launched earlier in 2016 and offering unprecedented onboard comfort, fine dining, personalization and first-class service.
“We partnered with Butterfield & Robinson to fulfill our shared desire to provide guests with unforgettable and unique travel experiences,” said Ellen Bettridge, president & CEO, Uniworld. “In 2018, we continue to expand this partnership across more of Uniworld’s most popular Rhine itineraries, pairing the best of river cruising with curated and active exploration by bike.”
The voyage by port and pedal includes a stay aboard the S.S. Antoinette, Uniworld’s first “Super Ship” with 67 uniquely designed staterooms and nine suites. Daily biking excursions will lead travellers through the Black Forest and Wiese Valley in Germany, along the river to Obernai and Strasbourg and to the colourful foothills of the Vosges Mountains in France. The last stops through Heidelberg, Koblenz and Cologne reinforce the reach of the Rhine, a former trade route dating back a millennium.
“Not only can our travellers immerse themselves in touring the cities and valleys along the Rhine, but we’ve designed an unbeatable week of biking routes,” said Chris Mark, director, Central & Eastern Europe, B&R. “Cyclists can choose their level of activity and still enjoy the well-deserved renaissance of this ancient trade route, its attractive landscapes and friendly residents.”
Rhine River Cruise Biking Highlights
- Explore Germany’s Black Forest and Wiese Valley, as well as France’s Alsatian wine country by bike within the first two days. Both days offer hillier routes, while the latter has rewarding views of the Vosges foothills.
- Ride a gorgeous uphill loop to the panoramic Chapelle des Larmes on Mount St-Odile in Obernai, enjoy a glass of locally-brewed Kronenbourg in the Alsacian capital of Strasbourg, and marvel at the famous, soaring Notre-Dame cathedral.
- Glide through the lush valley of Neckar River en route to Heidelberg, itself a UNESCO heritage site for its Old Town, medieval castle and eye-catching baroque architecture.
- Following a quick visit to Johannisberg Castle and its winery in gorgeous Middle Rhine, cyclists have the choice of embarking on a 106 km Century Ride along a flat riverside lane all the way from Rüdesheim to Boppard.
- Recreational: Much of the riding on this trip will be on the flat Rhine biking path, however hillier routes may present challenges, especially on Day 2 and Day 6.
- Daily cycling options are available for travellers, including more casual downhill and riverside routes to rewarding climbs through western Germany, as well as an option for a Century Ride on Day 6.
- Guests will spend seven nights aboard Uniworld’s elegant S.S. Antoinette in a stateroom of their choosing, serviced by the ship’s crew of 57. Built in 2011, the S.S. Antoinette’s rooms are all uniquely decorated and all B&R cabins have French balconies to accommodate endless town and riverside views.
- The restaurant aboard the S.S. Antoinette uses fresh, regionally-sourced ingredients and offers a breathtaking panoramic backdrop. The ship’s luxurious décor features fine Brazilian marble, 19th-century Venetian glass and a collection of original artwork.
- The 8 day / 7 night Rhine River Cruise Biking tour runs in May, June and September 2018.
Contributing members are responsible for the accuracy of content contributed to the Member News section of AdventureTravelNews.