AdventureNEXT Near East in Jordan (7-9 May 2018) promises to build on the professional relationships and business development topics introduced in 2017, but it is during adventures both prior to and after the event that will highlight the vast array of activities in Jordan and throughout the Near East.
The nine carefully crafted Pre-Adventures range from three to 10 days and feature a combination of iconic landscapes and sites, off-the-beaten path destinations, unique experiences, and active adventures throughout Jordan. The country’s appeal as an adventure-related destination has piqued travelers’ interest in recent years due to the fact that popular activities such as trekking, horseback riding, and mountain biking are set against a historic and archaeological backdrop. Its diverse landscape, ancient routes, and a developing infrastructure supportive of adventure travel have further increased interest in the destination, and delegates will be treated to the country’s rich culture through interactions with their guides and local people.
“The adventures encompass the breadth of what Jordan can offer travelers in terms of activity, landscape, cultural immersion, food, and the incredible Arab hospitality,” said Maureen Seeley, who organizes event adventures for the Adventure Travel Trade Association (ATTA). “Many of the adventures take part on some section of the Jordan Trail. This ancient trading route, which is more than 650 km long, is now a modern-day long-distance trail beginning at Umm Qais in the north and ending in Aqaba at the Red Sea in the south.”
This year’s diverse Pre-Adventures are made possible as a result of partnership support provided by Jordan Tourism Board and each participating tour operator. “The tour operators are excited to showcase what travelers can experience beyond the most popular sites and how to experience Jordan’s must-see places from an angle not typically experienced by most travelers to the country,” Seeley said. “Jordan is more than spectacularly carved rock formations and sandy deserts. It’s really about the connection to the people you meet along the way.”
From a deep dive into Jordan’s cultural highlights to multi-sport excursions, adventure travelers with a variety of interests are sure to find something special in one of the 2018 AdventureNEXT Near East Pre-Adventures:
- The Jordan Trail Active Tour (Terhaal Adventures) – Six days of hiking, biking, and horseback riding from Dana Biosphere Reserve to Wadi Rum via Petra.
- Northern Jordan: Hiking, Culture, Community (Baraka Destinations) – An immersive experience offering insight into Jordanian village life, history, nature, art, and culture through the eyes of local hosts in Umm Qais and Pella.
- Wonders of Jordan – Mountains, Canyons, and Seas (Rahallah) – A diverse array of activities across Jordan’s landscapes including summiting the country’s highest peak, diving and snorkeling in the Red Sea, and experiencing life with Bedouins in Wadi Rum.
- Feynan Ecolodge, Experience Jordan’s Great Escape (Feynan Ecolodge/EcoHotels) – A three-day adventure in Dana Biosphere Reserve including hiking, nature activities, and cultural experiences.
- Ajloun & Petra – Off-the-Beaten Path (Abercrombie and Kent – Jordan) – Take the scenic route exploring small villages and visiting Petra while meeting locals along the way.
- Dana to Petra: 6-Day Trek on the Jordan Trail (Experience Jordan) – Hike through four biospheres descending through Wadi Dana leading to the rose red city of Petra.
- Best of the Jordan Bike Trail (Experience Jordan) – This challenging, 10-day cycling journey, beginning in the north at Um Qais and ending in the south at the Red Sea, passes through rural countryside, small villages, and city centers outside of Amman.
- Jordan Multisport: Hike, Bike, Horse Ride, Snorkel (Experience Jordan) – Designed for active adventure lovers, this all-encompassing experience includes hiking through Wadi Hidan, cycling on the Jordan Bike Trail, snorkeling in the Red Sea, and more.
- Jerash to the Red Sea: A Jordan Cultural Experience (Experience Jordan) – A trip that encompasses several of the country’s most significant historic and religious sites including Petra, Wadi Rum, and Aqaba.
Registration for Pre-Adventures for AdventureNEXT Near East delegates opens 19 March.
In addition to these nine Pre-Adventures, Palestine will offer a post-event adventure for delegates interested in extending their Near East travels. Palestine is the first destination showcase partner offering a five-day post-adventure experience featuring hiking, cycling, archaeological exploration, and more along the Masar Ibrahim Al-Khalil, Palestine’s long-distance cultural walking route.
Tour operators based in Europe, North America, and South America interested in adding Jordan into new or existing itineraries may qualify to be hosted to experience these adventure itineraries during AdventureNEXT Near East. Apply now to be hosted.