On 12-14 June, 2022, Gergana Nikolova, Regional Director for Europe and Central Asia and Eva Mossberg, Partner Manager for North America and Global Gear Brands represented the Adventure Travel Trade Association (ATTA) at Outoor by ISPO in Munich, Germany, the leading trade fair for the outdoor industry. The 3-day event drew 300 international exhibitors and approximately 8,000 participants.
As a key partner and collaborator of the Adventure Tourism Conference, along with ISPO and University of Applied Management in Treuchtlingen, Germany, Gergana provided an industry snapshot and presented on the topic of sustainable support for adventure operators, and served on a panel with Chris Doyle of Tenson; Sara Mair Bellshaw, Slow Adventure Ltd, Jelena Farkic, Adventure Tourism Research Association and Dr. Carl Cater, Swansea University.
Immediately following the conference, ATTA hosted an AdventureConnect to further foster collaboration and networking between outdoor gear brands and the adventure travel trade. The energy and level of interest for new connections and collaborations proved the opportunity and importance of ATTA’s presence at the show. Raffle prizes were provided by ATTA members Tenson and Grayl.
During the trade show the ATTA met industry representatives from the most innovative companies in the outdoor gear brand industry, learned about and celebrated these forward-thinking brands, including Ternua, an apparel company that collects used fishing nets and ocean plastic and transforms it into materials for their clothing line; ATTA members Tenson with their carbon-zero Himalaya clothing line, and LEKI, with 250 patents and supporting local initiatives; Pivot Products, a manufacturer of backpacks who sources materials by buying textile remnants leftover from other brands which may have deserted a particular color for going out of style; and Retraced, a company source-tracing materials used as a method to measure sustainability.
The ATTA, ISPO and University of Applied Management discussed the long-term opportunity and importance of future collaboration to continue bringing the adventure tourism and outdoor gear brands sectors together under one roof to further grow tourism as a force for good in the world.
Collaborative Opportunities Abound
By enabling and facilitating cooperation between the adventure travel and outdoor gear/apparel industry, the ATTA seeks to:
- Increase comfort, experiences and safety for guests and guides by engaging quality gear/apparel companies to supply and educate ATTA members’ guiding staff and adventure travelers.
- Connect with the outdoor gear/apparel industry to:
- Facilitate easier access for tour operators and travel advisors to gear/apparel for their staff and guests
- Establish and deliver product education, testing and safety training programs
- Generate collaborative marketing opportunities to gear/apparel and adventure travel companies ́ consumers
- Develop new business and cross-selling cooperation
ATTA as a Conduit
- ATTA can be the bridge for gear companies to an additional powerful global consumer target group and match them with credible outdoor guides/ ambassadors that will open new distribution- and communication channels to the adventure travel industry.
- ATTA’s social and environmental initiatives add valuable differentiation and serve as credibility pillars — in alignment with the outdoor industry!
- ATTA’s members create active users of outdoor gear through adventure tourism
- ATTA is trusted by its members and their guests/customers, underlining this differentiation with referral and testimonial influence. ATTA provides access and credibility, as well as distribution and communication channels, for the outdoor gear industry to the active traveler and outdoor enthusiast.
As stated in The State of Gear Purchasing in the Adventure Travel Industry Report, respondents are most interested in pro-deals for staff and guides, uniforms, gear for staff and guides to use, and testing new products and awareness of the sustainability practices in the production. More details and insights can be found in the report.
Photos from the event can be found here.
For any questions about ATTA’s collaboration with gear brand companies – contact Eva Mossberg.