The World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC) announced the 12 finalists for the 2010 Tourism for Tomorrow Awards. Under WTTC's stewardship since 2003, the prestigious Awards recognise best practice in sustainable tourism in four different categories - Destination Stewardship, Conservation, Community Benefit and Global Tourism Business. Over 160 entries were received this year from over 45 countries.
The 12 finalists were selected by an international team of independent judges (ATN Editor's note: In 2009, ATTA President Shannon Stowell was named to serve on the 'finalist selection committee' for the 2010 awards process - below the finalist list finalist one may view the selection committee, on-site evaluators, and winner selection committee) in each of the four award categories for having successfully demonstrated sustainable tourism practices, including the protection of natural and cultural heritage, social and economic benefits to local people, and environmentally friendly operations.
Destination Stewardship Award
- Botswana Tourism Board - www.botswanatourism.co.bw
- Country of Montenegro, Ministry of Tourism - www.montenegro.travel
- Mount Huangshan Scenic Site, China - www.chinahuangshan.gov.cn
- Emirates Hotels & Resorts, UAE - www.emirateshotelsresorts.com
- Inkaterra Perú SAC - www.inkaterra.com
- Singita Grumeti Reserves, Tanzania - www.singita.com
- Namibia's Communal Conservancy Tourism Sector / NACSO -www.nacso.org.na
- Tourindia, India - www.tourindiakerala.com
- Whale Watch Kaikoura Ltd, New Zealand - www.whalewatch.co.nz
- Accor, France & Global - www.accor.com
- Banyan Tree Holdings, Singapore & Global - www.banyantree.com
- Wilderness Safaris, South Africa & Global - www.wilderness-safaris.com
Under the direction of the Chairman of Judges, Costas Christ, a judging panel of 15-20 judges, representing diverse professional backgrounds related to Travel & Tourim, and from different regions of the world, carries out the Tourism for Tomorrow Awards judging process. Together these judges make up the finalist selection committee, on-site evaluators, and winner selection committee. All play a critical role in the success of the Awards.
Chairman of Judges
2010 winner selection committee
2010 finalist selection committee
2010 on-site evaluators
Other site visits have also been conducted by Tony Charters, Costas Christ, Marilú Hernández and Michael Singh.