Latest from the ATTA
- Q&A: Indian Father-Daughter Team Summits Mt. Everest, Smashing Stereotypes About Women
- Travel Agents Reveal Clients’ Adventure Trends; Partnership Between Agents and Adventure Industry Continues to Grow at EDGE Conference
- Adventure Travel Industry, Outdoor Community Unite for Evening of Networking, Fundraising for Adventure Travel Conservation Fund
2. Engage Youth in the Outdoors during the School Day by collaborating with the Department of Education and local school leadership to engage school children in outdoor learning opportunities and active time outdoors at school.
3. Increase the Number of Safe and Accessible Green Spaces, particularly in low-income communities with significant health disparities, by eliminating park, playground and natural space desserts where they exist.
4. Support Close-to-Home Outdoor Recreation by providing resources to parents and caregivers that help address the barriers to allowing unstructured outdoor play.
5. Strengthen Outreach to New Audiences at all relevant agencies by integrating 21st Century communications tools such as mapping devices, iPhone applications, Facebook, Twitter, blogs, and other tools that will increase the visibility of our parks and natural spaces.
“This Special Report for President Obama represents some of the best ideas and recommendations for protecting America’s great outdoors,” said Christine Fanning, executive director for The Outdoor Foundation. “For the first time, empowered young leaders from across the country are speaking with one voice about outdoor programs and policies — and being heard. We look forward to working with the Administration to implement these forward-looking concepts.”
In June, more than 500 youth from across the country came together to participate in the first ever Outdoor Nation Youth Summit, the largest and most diverse outdoor youth summit in the nation’s history. Hosted by The Outdoor Foundation, the Youth Summitbroughttogether young ‘Outsiders’ to champion the outdoors, and served as a listening session for President Obama’s America’s Great Outdoors Initiative. Through tools gathered at the Outdoor Nation Summit, the Outsiders were empowered with the training and support to spur a cultural revolution that will lead to a strong Outdoor Nation. The Special Report on America’s Great Outdoors is one outcome of that Summit.
Click here to download the full report.