Latest from the ATTA
- Q&A: Indian Father-Daughter Team Summits Mt. Everest, Smashing Stereotypes About Women
- Travel Agents Reveal Clients’ Adventure Trends; Partnership Between Agents and Adventure Industry Continues to Grow at EDGE Conference
- Adventure Travel Industry, Outdoor Community Unite for Evening of Networking, Fundraising for Adventure Travel Conservation Fund
Jackson Hole, WY – Mountain Khakis®, a leading mountain-inspired lifestyle apparel brand, is joining efforts with grassroots organization, Alabama Forever, to provide aid to Alabama residents stricken by tornadoes.
Alabama resident Alex Sokol has found his calling. Responding to the devastation from the April tornadoes, Alex loaded a U-Haul full of drinking water and supplies to help rural Alabama residents. To his dismay, he was turned away from a large, relief-focused organization. Taking matters into his own hands, he quickly formed Alabama Forever – a non-profit dedicated to natural disaster relief.
“We took a trailer of supplies and a camera crew to Cordova, Alabama yesterday, about 45 miles west of Birmingham. The town of 2400 has been ravaged,” said Alex. “We met with their mayor about rebuilding the ball field in the center of town because he ‘wants to see kids playing again’. The town has suffered so much and they were overlooked by the big box non-profits. From what I have seen, this has become far too often a recurring theme in the tornado relief efforts.”
According to MK Dealer Services Representative, Shelley Thornton, “I am still flabbergasted at the rural devastation. There are parts of rural northeast Alabama that can’t get food and some people didn’t eat any dinner at all last night. The roads aren’t clear yet, and no one can get in or out. We are trying hard to focus on relief efforts that are reaching beyond the Tuscaloosa and Cullman areas because those are large enough that they will be able to get help the quickest.”
To support Alex and the rural residents of Alabama, Mountain Khakis will be selling hats & visors at the New River Rendezvous in Fayetteville, WV May 20-22, to benefit Alabama Forever relief efforts. They will feature Mountain Khakis’ new Women’s Atmosphere Corps Hat and the Wilson Beach Visor for $15 each. 100% of the proceeds will go to Alabama Forever.
How can you help?
1. Alabama Forever is accepting donations of cash, food, clothes, baby supplies, pet supplies, etc. To support their relief efforts, go to www.alabamaforever.org
2. Stop by the Mountain Khakis booth at the Rendezvous and know that 100% of the proceeds from your purchase go to Alabama Forever.
Contributing members are responsible for the accuracy of content contributed to the Member News section of AdventureTravelNews.