— ‘GORE-TEX® Footwear Diamond in the Rough’ Contest Challenges
U.S. Travelers to Seek Hidden GORE-TEX® Brand Logo in Top Destinations —
As the summer travel season begins, W.L. Gore & Associates, a leading manufacturer of advanced technology products including the GORE-TEX® brand, today announced the Top 10 GORE-TEX® Footwear Summer Travel Destinations for 2008. The destinations were identified by Gore as this summer’s top locations where travelers can experience the diversity of both outdoor adventure and urban leisure travel. The Adventure Travel Trade Association (ATTA) helped Gore identify the Top 10 destinations by analyzing industry-wide resources.
In tandem with the Top 10 list, Gore is launching the ‘GORE-TEX® Footwear Diamond in the Rough’ contest, which challenges U.S. travelers to uncover a hidden GORE-TEX® brand logo (the GORE-TEX® logo is diamond shaped) in the participating destinations. Each winner will receive $500 in GORE-TEX® gear.
Throughout the campaign, Gore will showcase its latest travel footwear styles from Ara, Clark’s, Ecco, Kenneth Cole, Merrell, New Balance, Stuart Weitzman and Timberland. These styles have GORE-TEX® fabric technology to help keep feet comfortable regardless of activity or ground conditions.
“We are honored to have the ATTA place its stamp of approval on our list of Top 10 GORE-TEX® Footwear Summer Travel Destinations, which further underscores our commitment to providing travelers with information about the best destinations and gear to help them experience more on their vacations,” commented Brian Gallagher, global marketing footwear strategist for Gore. “The contest is a great way to engage travelers, encourage them to explore the destinations and experience more with GORE-TEX® footwear. With GORE-TEX® fabric technology inside of today’s shoe fashions, travelers can experience everything from hiking and sightseeing to a night out on the town while wearing a versatile, waterproof and breathable shoe that will manage the micro-climate inside their shoes to keep them comfortable.”
Gore compiled the Top 10 list to highlight destinations where travelers can experience the diversity of both outdoor adventure and urban leisure travel. The ATTA, a global membership organization dedicated to unifying, promoting and responsibly growing the adventure travel market worldwide, was pivotal in helping Gore identify the destinations. The ATTA utilized worldwide trade and consumer travel studies regarding the popularity of destinations and combined those results with a unique set of qualitative factors and filters concerning destinations’ compelling assets, special environmental and cultural considerations, to help create the below list (listed in alphabetical order):
- Australia – From the tropical rainforests of Queensland to a trip out west to Australia’s most famous landmark, Ayers Rock, adventure travelers can have it all. Leisure travelers can shop in Sydney and Melbourne, relax on the beaches of Surfer’s Paradise, or visit one of Australia’s crocodile farms.
- Brazil – Adventure travelers can trek along the jungles and rivers of the Amazon and see the spectacular thunder of Iguacu Falls. For a more relaxed experience, travelers can soak up sun on the beaches of Ipanema and Copacabana, or learn to samba while enjoying the nightlife of Rio de Janeiro.
- British Columbia – For breathtaking experiences that include climbing across the Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge or sea kayaking with Orca whales, British Columbia is home to many activities for adventurers. The BC Ferries travel along the coast to the sophisticated cities of Vancouver and Victoria where visitors can stop at Granville Island or the inner harbor.
- California – California’s diverse geography offers a variety of activities – from parasailing at Lake Tahoe and exploring the Mojave desert, to sipping wine in Napa Valley and taking in the panoramic view from the Golden Gate Bridge.
- France – Travelers have the opportunity to view the artistic wonders of the Louvre, the palace at Versailles and the Eiffel Tower – then hike through the forests of Fontainebleau, cycle in the Pyrénées Mountains and take in the view from the top of Mont Blanc.
- Madagascar – Travelers who love the outdoors will enjoy hiking through the Montagne d’Ambre National Park or climbing the mountainous trails of Ranomafana in search of lemurs. Visitors looking for a more relaxing experience will appreciate a tour of Antananarivo or a visit to the Royal Palace at Ambohimanga.
- Nepal – Kathmandu, the hub of traditional culture and arts, is an ideal place for rest, relaxation and visiting historic and artistic temples including Boudhanath Stupa, home to Tibetan Buddhism in Nepal. True adventure seekers can experience uninterrupted white water on the Marshyangdi River, which flows through the Annapurna Himalayas.
- New York – This state is home to the Adirondack Mountains and the Hudson Valley where adventure enthusiasts will find rock climbing at the Mohonk Nature Preserve. Leisure visitors can explore Niagara Falls and experience the signature arts, culture and shopping of New York City.
- Norway – As 2008 is the International Polar Year, Norway is an ideal destination for leisure and adventure travelers who want to witness the changing earth. Adventure enthusiasts can explore the fjords and breathtaking waterfalls, while leisure visitors can experience the Norwegian coastline on a Hurtigruten cruise ship or learn about Viking history in Oslo.
- Switzerland – Leisure travelers can experience cosmopolitan and historical cities like Zurich, Basel and Geneva. Within a short drive or train ride, adventure seekers can hike up the Alps or hang-glide down.
“By closely monitoring worldwide travel trends and by bringing the ATTA’s first-hand insights and experiences from many corners of the globe to the table, we were able to help Gore create its specialized list of the Top 10 GORE-TEX® Footwear Summer Travel Destinations for 2008,” commented Chris Doyle, vice president, ATTA. “This list will help travelers identify thrilling destinations for their summer vacations – destinations that are sure to offer every individual an unusual, authentic and environmentally and culturally rich experience.”
The Top 10 list serves as the setting for the ‘GORE-TEX® Footwear Diamond in the Rough’ contest, which challenges U.S. travelers to find a hidden GORE-TEX® brand logo in chosen destinations. To set out to find a ‘GORE-TEX® Footwear Diamond in the Rough,’ travelers can visit the contest website (www.gore-textravelfootwear.com) to gather clues as to where the logos are hidden in the chosen destinations. Travelers who find the hidden logos will win $500 in GORE-TEX® gear. Consumers can participate in an online write-in contest, explaining why they want GORE-TEX® Footwear for their upcoming vacation. The top entries will win a free pair of shoes.
About W.L. Gore & Associates (www.gore-tex.com):
Perhaps best known for its consumer products like GORE-TEX® fabric and ELIXIR® guitar strings, Gore is a leading manufacturer of thousands of advanced technology products for the electronics, industrial, fabrics and medical markets. The company is headquartered in Newark, Delaware, posts sales of approximately $2 billion, and employs almost 8,000 associates at 50 facilities throughout the world.
GORE, GORE-TEX, WINDSTOPPER and designs are trademarks of W. L. Gore & Associates, Inc.© 2008 W. L. Gore & Associates, Inc., 295 Blue Ball Rd., Elkton, Maryland, 800-431-GORE, gore-tex.com.